Here is the MiBiz Growth Report for February 28, 2022.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Gordon Food Service Inc. is about to add new food categories to its offering and expand its network of retailers with an upcoming acquisition. The Wyoming-based food supplier has announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire a family-owned Canadian foodservice company Macgregors Meat & Seafood Ltd., which will operate as a specialized company for GFS once the transaction is completed. Macgregors maintains partnerships with meat brands such as Niman Ranch, Jail Island Salmon and Certified Angus Beef. The company serves the restaurant, retail and private label segments of the food industry.
- Based in Grand Rapids Applied Imaging Society., a national provider of office products and services, continues to strengthen its presence in Indiana with a recent acquisition. The company recently announced that it ended 2021 with the purchase of the Warsaw, Indiana-based company. Sands Office Equipment Service. It was one of two Applied Imaging acquisitions made in the state in 2021, as the company now has offices in South Bend, Merrillville, Ft. Wayne and Warsaw. “This now gives us a strong presence in northern Indiana as we continue our geographic expansion,” John Lowery, president and CEO of Applied Imaging, said in a statement.
- PE backing Angstrom Technologya Walker-based company that designs, builds and maintains cleanrooms, has acquired the English company Specific Environments Ltd. Not only does the acquisition expand Angstrom’s footprint in the UK after previously serving the US, Canada and Mexico, but Specific Environments also brings specialist design and engineering capabilities. Angstrom has acquired three companies in the past six months and is backed by ASGARD Partners & Co.a New York-based private equity firm focused on manufacturing, distribution and service businesses.
- Ascension Medical Group acquired Kalamazoo Gastroenterology Hepatology. With offices in Kalamazoo, Three Rivers, Battle Creek and Portage, the practice is staffed by gastroenterologists, hepatologists, physicians and physician assistants. Kalamazoo Gastroenterology Hepatology diagnoses and manages complex and chronic disorders of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, anorectum, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, and gastrointestinal tract. bile tree.
- Insurance brokerage firm based in Traverse City High Street Insurance Partners marked its 100th acquisition in three years with the purchase of The craft agency in Jackson. With 100 years of history to its name, The Craft Agency provides personal, business and life insurance to customers across the state of Michigan.
- Directors at Catherine Health Center in Grand Rapids have named Megan Erskine as CEO. Erskine will join the nonprofit health care provider on April 12 from her tenure at Heartland Health Centers in Chicago, where she served as chief operating officer. Erskine will succeed longtime CEO Karen Kaashoek, who is retiring after more than 24 years at Catherine’s Health Center, a federally licensed health center.
General contractor, construction management and design company Erhardt Construction Co. is opening a new office in Muskegon, company officials said. The Ada-based company was founded 60 years ago and has built relationships along the lake through various projects in Muskegon, creating an opportunity to establish a physical presence there with an office at 425 W. Western Ave. , Suite 308. and engaged in the community where we do business is important to us,” President and CEO Ben Wickstrom said in a statement. “We are here for the long term. This is why we take root.
District, a Cleveland-based taco chain with multiple Michigan locations, is set to open this spring on the first floor of the historic Helmer Building in downtown Grand Rapids. About $1 million renovations to the 4,600 square foot space at 37 Ottawa Ave NW began about two months ago, franchisee Jake Hawley said MiBiz. Hawley owns Barrio’s next location in Grand Rapids as well as the restaurant’s other Michigan locations in East Lansing and Traverse City. The Cleveland-based restaurant chain currently has 12 locations in Ohio, Michigan, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Specialty Sandwich Shop in Grand Haven The grilled pickle expands with a second location in downtown Rockford at the old Ramona’s table restaurant. Karen Avery and her husband, Jim Avery, opened The Toasted Pickle in 2016 in downtown Grand Haven. The couple were looking for additional locations across the state to open a second restaurant, and Rockford was “high on the list,” Jim Avery said. The owners of longtime Rockford staple Ramona’s Table have announced their retirement and closure of the downtown Rockford restaurant in December 2021, opening up space for a new business.
the Pine Rest Psychological Counseling Center nearly doubled its capacity from 21 clinical offices and testing rooms to 40 with the opening of a new facility at 6500 Byron Center Ave. Last year, the psychological counseling center grew by 40% to serve more than 4,800 patients.
Dr. Teri Behrens, who served as executive director of Grand Valley State University‘s Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy since 2018, announced that she will be retiring this year. Behrens worked for the university’s nonprofit research center in various capacities for nearly 14 years. She joined the center part-time in 2009 while founding The Foundation magazine, the first national peer-reviewed journal on philanthropy. Prior to joining GVSU, Behrens served as Director of Evaluation at WK Kellogg Foundation for seven years.
REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT
- Ja Plainfield Township Planning Commission approved Eastern Kille Distilleryto relocate its distilling operations to a 16-acre property along the White Pine Trail. Eastern Kille co-owners Steve Vander Pol and Brandon Voorhees plan to move the distillery to 7755 Childsdale Ave. NE in Plainfield Township, southwest of downtown Rockford, near Third Nature Brewing Co. Plans call for 10,360 square feet of space for the distillery with a separate 4,144 square foot tasting room with food service. The designs also feature a 2,786 square foot outdoor cocktail garden.
- A private Georgia real estate company recently purchased the Felch Street Mall in Holland Charter Township for $21 million. The 166,100 square foot mall is fully leased to national and regional retailers including Barnes & Noble, Bed Bath and Beyond, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Jonathan Stevens Mattress, Party City, PetSmart, Shoe Carnival, TJMaxx and Ulta Beauty. A subsidiary of Alpharetta, based in Georgia Octave Holdings and Investments LLC purchased the mall located at 12635 Felch St. on February 7 from Cogency Global Inc.do business as DFG Felchstraat, according to property records. The sale included nine plots.
- Trust Plante Moran NA, an independent, trust-only bank, has obtained a National Trust Charter from the Officer of the Comptroller of the Currency, a division of the US Treasury Department that regulates national banks. The national charter allows Plante Moran Trust to extend its services nationwide. The Southfield-based Plante Moran Trust is one of 52 nationally chartered trust banks in the country.